Amazon Fire TV devices offer the convenience of accessing popular streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu on your Smart TV or monitor. However, a challenge arises due to geo-restrictions imposed by many streaming providers, limiting access to regional libraries. If you wish to overcome these restrictions and gain access to content from around the world, this guide will walk you through the process of installing a VPN on an Amazon Fire TV Stick and Fire TV Cube. Additionally, it will provide recommendations for high-quality VPN services to enhance your streaming experience.
Top VPNs for Firestick and Fire TV Cube
Before proceeding, it’s important to note that first-generation Amazon Fire Sticks, identified by the FCC ID “2ABDU-0509” on the side, do not support VPN connections. If you have a later model, you can explore our list of recommended VPN providers below.
Discover the top VPNs for Firestick and Fire TV Cube, all conveniently accessible through the FireTV homepage with dedicated apps. Simply search for your preferred provider and download the associated app.VPNs are filled with claims of being the fastest and most secure, we cut through the hyperbole by rigorously testing potential candidates against specific criteria outlined below.
- Cross-device compatible applications
- Vast server network
- In case of issues/queries dedicated team to answer any question anytime
- Easy access to geo-restricted content
- High-grade encryption and technology interface
- Simple and Easy-to-use GUI
- Zero-log policy and independently audited for Logs
What Is the Best VPN for FireStick?
ExpressVPN is a popular virtual private network (VPN) provider known for its strong security, fast speeds, and user-friendly interface.
- Strong Security: ExpressVPN uses military-grade encryption protocols and a no-logs policy to protect your online privacy and security. Ideal for online banking, browsing public Wi-Fi, and accessing geo-restricted content.
- Fast Speeds: Boasting a global network of high-speed servers, ExpressVPN ensures reliable and fast connections for streaming, downloading, and browsing.
- Global Server Network: With servers in over 94 countries, you can easily connect to locations worldwide and bypass geo-restrictions on websites and streaming services.
- User-Friendly Interface: ExpressVPN has a simple and intuitive interface, making it easy to use for users of all technical levels.
- Multiple Device Support: Connect multiple devices simultaneously with a single ExpressVPN subscription, suitable for families and individuals using multiple devices.
- 24/7 Customer Support: ExpressVPN offers 24/7 customer support via live chat and email to assist with any questions or issues.
- Price: ExpressVPN is one of the more expensive VPN providers on the market. While its features justify the price for many users, it may not be the best option for budget-conscious consumers.
- Limited Trial Period: Unlike some other VPN providers, ExpressVPN offers a relatively short 30-day money-back guarantee.
NordVPN is a leading virtual private network (VPN) provider renowned for its robust security, impressive speed, and extensive global network.
- Top-Tier Security: NordVPN utilizes military-grade encryption protocols, a strict no-logs policy, and advanced features like double VPN and Onion over VPN to safeguard your online privacy and security.
- Blazing Speeds: NordVPN consistently shines in speed tests, providing reliable and fast connections for streaming, downloading, and browsing. With dedicated P2P servers, it’s also a popular choice for torrenting.
- Massive Server Network: Boasting over 5500 servers in 60 countries, NordVPN offers incredible flexibility and access to geo-restricted content worldwide.
- Advanced Features: NordVPN doesn’t hold back on innovative features, including threat protection, kill switch, split tunneling, and Meshnet, further enhancing your digital security and convenience.
- Multiple Device Support: Connect up to 6 devices simultaneously with a single NordVPN subscription, catering to multi-device users.
- Strict Privacy Practices: NordVPN is headquartered in Panama, outside the jurisdiction of major data retention alliances, and has undergone independent audits to solidify its commitment to privacy.
- Higher Price Point: Compared to some competitors, NordVPN falls on the pricier end of the spectrum, although its feature set justifies the cost for many users.
- Complex Interface: While still user-friendly, NordVPN’s interface may appear slightly more intricate than some basic VPN options, requiring a bit more familiarity to navigate all its features.
|Pricing (as low as)
|30 – days
|Servers in 94+ Countries
|45 – days
|Servers in 91+ Countries
|30 – days
|Servers in 60+ Countries
|30 – days
|Servers in 100+ Countries
Why need a VPN with a Fire TV Stick?
A VPN can serve as a strategic tool to counteract internet throttling enforced by your internet service provider (ISP). Bandwidth throttling by ISPs, for various reasons, can be mitigated by using a VPN to mask your online activities from the ISP’s scrutiny. However, it’s important to acknowledge that relying solely on a VPN might not be a universal solution. In some instances, considering options like upgrading to a higher bandwidth internet package or adopting more bandwidth-efficient practices may be required to effectively evade throttling.
A virtual private network (VPN) on our Fire TV Stick serves the primary purpose of unblocking streaming content, a common motive for many Fire Stick users. This enables us to seamlessly watch Netflix with a VPN, whether we’re travelling or at home, without concerns about geo-restrictions.
Consider the scenario where you wish to access the U.K. content library on Netflix while you’re in the U.S.; ordinarily, this isn’t feasible unless connected with a VPN. The same holds for accessing other streaming platforms like HBO Max and Hulu while abroad. Another motive for utilizing a VPN on your Fire TV Stick is to enhance online security and privacy. VPNs play a crucial role in encrypting and concealing your online activities, providing you the ability to navigate the internet anonymously and securely.
Ways to Install the desired VPN app on Firestick
Via Amazon app store
- Navigate to the search function on your Fire TV Stick and find the desired VPN.
- Download the selected VPN application.
- Open the application and log in using your VPN account credentials.
- Choose a server and connect to the VPN for a secure online experience.
- You are now successfully connected to the VPN on your Fire TV Stick.
- Download the VPN from the store.
- Navigate to Settings on your Fire device.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Access Developer Options.
- Locate and open the Downloader.
- Initiate the Download process.
- Grant access and confirm by clicking OK.
- Enter the URL of your APK installer.
- Execute the download by clicking Go.
- Install the app, sign in to your Fire TV, and activate the VPN. Connect to the server of your choice.
Via the Apps Section
- Access the Apps menu on your Fire device.
- Navigate to the Categories section.
- Choose the Utility category.
- Click in the Search bar.
- Type in “VPN” in the Search bar.
- Review the search results for VPN applications.
- Select the app of your choice from the list.
- Navigate to the app details page.
- Click on the download button to initiate the installation process.
Check If the VPN is working fine on your Firestick
- Open the Downloader app.
- Navigate back to the Home screen.
- Enter http://whatismyip.com in the address bar.
- Click the Go button.
- Retrieve the obtained address.
- Compare it with your Fire TV Stick’s actual IP address.
- If they differ, your VPN connection is functioning correctly.
Addressing Issues: Tips and Solutions If Firestick Not Working Properly
- Access the Fire TV homepage and click on Settings.
- Navigate to the Applications section.
- Select Manage Installed Applications.
- Locate your VPN app from the list.
- Click Force Stop to halt its operation.
- Perform a Clear Data and Clear Cache action for the VPN app.
- Return to Settings and click on your device.
- restart your device.
- Follow any prompts to set a new PIN if required.
- Ensure your VPN is now functioning smoothly.
Network Issues/ Drop in Wifi Signal
- Choose a network located in the same room as the router or directly wired to it.
- Select the preferred network based on signal strength.
- Connect your Fire TV Stick to the chosen network.
Still Facing some issues:
- Access Settings and click on My Fire TV.
- Choose the Restart option.
- Unplug your modem or router.
- Wait for 15 seconds, then plug it back in and retry the action.
- Refer to the instructions above for uninstalling your VPN app.
- Restart your Fire TV Stick.
- Reinstall the app.
Switch between protocols
- Got to setting.
- Search for protocol.
- Toggle between different protocols for better results.
- Save and Check again.
How to Switch Your Region on the Fire TV Stick
Whether you’re in the U.S. looking for a VPN to access Dutch shows or traveling in Canada and needing a VPN for your home country, such as Spain, the process remains the same. To change your VPN’s region, ensure your Prime account is set to the desired country. Regardless of your location or content preferences, synchronizing your Prime account with the appropriate country is vital for a smooth transition between VPN regions.
- Navigate to Your Account in your Amazon account.
- Click on Your Content and Devices.
- Access Your Preferences.
- Locate and choose the option to change your region.
- Select your desired region.
- Confirm the changes to complete the process.
How to Update the VPN on Firestick
promptly and perform software updates is crucial for any web app or operating system. Here’s a guide on how to do so:
- Access the VPN app on your Fire TV Home Screen.
- Click on Menu.
- Select More Info to load the app’s detail page.
- Wait for the detail page to load.
- Check for an update button on the page.
- If an update is available, click the Update button.
- Allow the system to install the latest software.
Potential Risks of Not Using a VPN With the Firestick/ Fire TV
What prompts the use of a VPN with your Fire TV Stick in the first place? There are several compelling reasons.
Invasion of Privacy by ISPs
Without a VPN, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) gains visibility into your streaming habits, potentially compromising your privacy.
Security Risks on Public Wi-Fi
Operating without a VPN on public Wi-Fi networks exposes your connection to security vulnerabilities, making you susceptible to potential hacking threats.
Targeted Ads and Data Exploitation
The absence of a VPN allows entities like Google and online advertisers to leverage your data for creating personalized and targeted advertisements.
Risk of Legal Consequences
In locations with streaming restrictions, not using a VPN could expose you to legal repercussions, especially in offices or countries with strict streaming policies.
Insecure VoIP Communications
Your VoIP phone calls are left vulnerable to security threats when operating without the protection of a VPN.
Using a VPN for Streaming Media through Kodi and Plex Media
Kodi and Plex are essential media streaming applications for Fire Stick, addressing its limited storage of approximately 4.5 GB. These platforms enable users to integrate media libraries from sources like network-attached storage (NAS) devices and personal servers. However, it’s important to be aware that both Kodi and Plex offer unofficial Add-Ons and Plugins that grant access to potentially illegal content streams. While we avoid making assumptions about individual usage, some users of these extensions may opt for a VPN to safeguard their online activities. Installing Kodi on your Fire TV Stick involves downloading the Kodi Android APK from its official site, a process similar to installing the Android APK for your VPN.
- Navigate to Settings on your device.
- Go to Device and then Developer Options. Enable the Allow Apps from Unknown Sources option.
- Launch Downloader.
- On the app’s main page, select the URL bar and type in https://kodi.tv/download.
- Choose Android, then select ARMV7A (32Bit).
- Follow all the subsequent download and installation prompts.
- Return to Settings.
- Navigate to Device and then Developer Options.
- Disable the Allow Apps from Unknown Sources option.
For Plex installation, simply search and download it directly from the Apps section. Alternatively, if you favor dealing primarily with Kodi’s interface, you can install the Plex Add-On for Kodi. It’s worth noting that Fire TV Sticks aren’t the only devices that might need workarounds for VPN setup; our guide on installing a VPN on a Chromebook provides further insights.
Uninstalling VPN on Firestick /Fire TV
Whether you’re encountering issues with a VPN app on your Firestick or no longer require its services (perhaps considering a switch to one of the recommended VPNs for Firestick mentioned in this post), uninstalling is a swift and straightforward process. Follow these steps to find out
- Open Settings from the top menu of your Firestick.
- Navigate to Applications.
- Click on Manage Installed Applications.
- Scroll and locate the VPN app you intend to uninstall.
- Select the VPN app.
- Choose the Uninstall option.
- Confirm the action by clicking Uninstall again.
- Wait for the uninstallation process to complete.
- Return to the main menu once the VPN app is successfully uninstalled.
VPN for Amazon Fire Stick / Fire TV FAQs
- h3>What is a jailbroken Firestick?
When a Firestick is jailbroken, it allows the installation of apps from sources other than Amazon’s official Fire TV app store.
- Access Settings on your Firestick.
- Go to Device and then Developer options.
- Toggle on the “Apps from unknown sources” setting to enable app installations from external sources.
It’s important to note that the term “jailbreaking” typically involves modifying device firmware or gaining root access, which is more complex and unnecessary for most Fire TV users. This article does not delve into rooting a Fire TV, as it goes beyond the scope of the provided information.
Does ISP can block my Firestick?
While internet providers technically can block internet access to a Firestick, it’s uncommon for them to do so without specific reasons. Cable providers are more likely to restrict access to particular websites or streaming sources rather than blocking all access to a device within your home network. For instance, if you’re using Kodi on a Fire TV to stream pirated video content, your ISP might block the source of the video rather than the entire internet access for your Fire TV device.
What does Firestick offer to its Users?
Beyond its primary function of streaming videos on various services, your Firestick offers versatile entertainment options. It can serve as a platform for playing games, listening to music, tuning in to the radio, catching up on the latest news, and even doubling as a practical paperweight. For Kodi enthusiasts, Firesticks are a popular choice, providing a platform to stream live and on-demand videos from diverse sources. You can explore our detailed guide on installing Kodi on Firestick for a seamless experience.
Is it possible to use a Firestick in a different country?
Certainly, you can use a Firestick in another country; however, without a VPN, your access will be restricted to the content available in the country you’re currently in. For instance, if you’re in Spain and attempt to watch Hulu, you may encounter restrictions since Hulu is exclusively accessible to US residents. To overcome these limitations, consider using a VPN to modify your virtual location, allowing you to access the desired streaming service as if you were in the respective region.
Do VPNs support every version of Firestick and Fire TV?
Not all VPNs are compatible with every version of Firestick and Fire TV. However, this concern typically applies primarily to the initial generation of Fire Sticks introduced in 2014. It’s highly likely that your device is not as old as this, especially considering the discontinuation of these early models. Therefore, using a VPN with your Amazon Firestick or Fire TV should pose no problem, as long as the VPN service provides dedicated apps for these devices.